Did COP 26 Climate Pact reach a decision on limiting global warming by 1.50 C?
COP 26 GOALS TO BE ACHIEVED
- Secure global net zero by mid-century. Keep 1.5 degrees within reach
Countries are being asked to come forward with ambitious 2030 emissions reductions targets to reach net zero by 2050. To deliver, countries need to:
- accelerate the phase-out of coal
- curtail deforestation
- switch to electric vehicles
- encourage investment in renewables.
- Adapt to protect communities and natural habitats
The climate is already changing and will continue to change even as we reduce emissions, with devastating effects. At COP26 we need to work together to enable and encourage countries affected by climate change to:
- protect and restore ecosystems
- build defences, warning systems and resilient infrastructure and agriculture to avoid loss of homes, livelihoods and even lives
- Mobilise finance
To deliver on our first two goals, developed countries must keep their promise to mobilise at least $100bn in climate finance per year by 2020. International financial institutions must participate to unleash trillions in private and public sector finance to secure global net zero.
- Work together to deliver
We can only meet these challenges by working together. At COP26 we must:
- finalise the Paris Rulebook (the detailed rules that make the Paris Agreement operational)
- accelerate action to tackle the climate crisis through collaboration between governments, businesses and civil society.